Welcome to the Victoria County History

Founded in 1899 and originally dedicated to Queen Victoria, the VCH is an encyclopaedic record of England's places and people from earliest times to the present day. Based at the Institute of Historical Research in the University of London since 1933, the VCH is written by historians working in counties across England and is without doubt the greatest publishing project in English local history.

News and events

Latest Essex publication launched in county
Bruern Abbey in 1795 - built on the site of a medieval Cistercian abbey
VCH Oxfordshire's latest online texts - Bruern and Fifield (Wychwood area, west Oxfordshire)
Museum of Somerset concert

Did You Know?

The British Gaslight Company site was sold to the Stoke on Trent Corporation and inaugurated as the central works for the city by Stanley Baldwin in 1928. They grew to be one of the largest in the country, covering an area of over 37 acres from Etruria Station to the Bedford Street canal bridge.
A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8, ed. J G Jenkins (London, 1963), pp. 157-173 h