- Writing for the VCH
- VCH Explore
- Schools Learning Zone
Status: Active, 10 volumes published
The first Somerset volumes of the History were published in 1906 and 1911 and were general volumes. Work on the History was revived in 1967 and volume III, the first topographical volume covering the Ilchester, Langport, and Somerton areas, was published in 1974.
Since then seven more volumes have been published covering areas in south, west, and east Somerset, Bridgwater and the Quantocks, the Poldens and Levels, and the area around Glastonbury and Street.
Volume 10 on the Castle Cary area is the most recently completed volume and was published on the 23rd December 2010 while volume 11 on the Queen Camel and Cadbury areas is in the final stages of editing and compilation. Research and writing is now complete for volume 12 on West Somerset, covering the area around Dunster and Minehead. Five parishes now have their draft histories on this site under work in progress. Research has now begun for a set of volumes covering the Taunton area.
Volumes I and II (general history of Somerset), III (Ilchester, Langport and Somerton area), IV (Crewkerne and South Petherton areas), V (West Somerset from the Quantocks to the Brendons including Stogumber and Watchet), VI (Bridgwater, North Petherton, and the area from the Quantocks to the Parrett), VII (Bruton, Wincanton, and Milborne Port areas), VIII (the Poldens and Levels, from Huntspill to High Ham) and IX (Glastonbury, Meare and Street and surrounding villages) can be read on-line at www.british-history.ac.uk.
You will find more throughout the site. Don't miss our latest news pages, image galleries or information on historic Somerset. Our newsletter comes out twice a year and back numbers are available on this site. If you would like to receive your own copy email email@example.com.
The Museum of Somerset in Taunton Castle opened its doors to the public on 29 September 2011. Look out for news of lots of special events including gallery talks and lectures including the VCH Mick Aston Memorial Lecture in 2013. See the new Museum of Somerset during fitting out.
On 9 December 2011 the Somerset Heritage Centre was officially opened by his Royal Highness, the Earl of Wessex. In May 2012 her Majesty the Queen and Prince Philip visited an exhibition of Somerset's heritage at Crewkerne. The county editor was privileged to meet her Majesty.
On 15 October 2012 his Royal Highness, the Earl of Wessex returned to perform the official opening at the Museum and to open the new glass bridge between Castle Green and Goodland Gardens.
The 3rd VCH History Walk
Programme of talks already arranged and events in which County Editor will take...
3rd Somerset newsletter
cathedral upper level tour
New exhibition at the Museum of Somerset
Second VCH History Walk
Somerset during the First World War
Glimpses into the life of Sir Samuel Hood
Edmund Rack described Timberscombe in the 1780s as encompassed by lofty hills we...
Minehead is blessed with scenic beauty, which made it a popular seaside resort f...
Withycombe parish lies largely hidden in the hills south of Carhampton whose anc...
Carhampton lies on the shore of Blue Anchor Bay in the Bristol Channel between W...
Research is complete on Dunster and draft sections of the Dunster entry can be v...