- Writing for the VCH
- VCH Explore
- Schools Learning Zone
Wiltshire Work in progress
Wiltshire Vol XX
Volume XX will cover the town of Chippenham and the surrounding parishes of Bremhill, Chippenham, Christian Malford (including the detached hamlet of Avon), Hardenhuish, Kington St Michael (including Kington Langley), Langley Burrell, Pewsham (extra-parochial), and Tytherton Kellaways.
A full scoping study has been undertaken into the topics that will be covered and the available sources. It is anticipated that the volume will take approximately four years to complete at a cost of £150,000, with authors being engaged on...
Wiltshire Vol XIX
The focus of this volume is the Renaissance house at Longleat, and the clutch of parishes strung out along the Deverill valley to the south and east of it. They are Brixton Deverill, Hill Deverill, and Horningsham in Heytesbury hundred; Kingston Deverill in Mere hundred; and Compton Chamberlayne, Longbridge Deverill, and Monkton Deverill in South Damerham hundred. The work is well is well advanced and it is expected the volume will be published in 2016.
Work is now well under way on the seven ancient parishes that will be included in volume XIX, due to be published in September 2014. Its focus is the Renaissance prodigy house at Longleat, and the clutch of parishes strung out along the Deverill...
Brixton Deverill is a small parish, which includes the former tithing of Whitecliff. It is the central one of five villages named Deverill standing on the banks of the Wylye. Together their territories made up the estate of Devrel, probably centred...
Compton Chamberlayne lies c. 7 km. W of Wilton, to the south of the river Nadder. The village which forms the main settlement lies in a small valley running south from the river, and lying until the later 18th century either side of an unnamed...
The ancient parish of Hill Deverill included the detached tithing of Baycliffe which lay 5.5 km. west of Hill Deverill village. In 1884 Baycliffe (c. 200 a.) was absorbed into Horningsham parish, and in 1934 Hill Deverill itself (1,548 a.) was...
Horningsham lies c. 7 km. SW of Warminster, along Wiltshire’s western border with Somerset. Nestling between the slopes of Cold Kitchen Hill to the south-east and Selwood forest to the west, the bulk of the parish lies on greensand, into which...
The parish of Kingston Deverill stands c. 9 km south of Warminster and c. 6 km north-east of Mere. The research for this parish is now under way, and a full draft will be added to the site when it is complete. The research for this volume is funded...
The large parish of Longbridge Deverill lies to the south and west of Warminster, and includes the sprawling hamlet of Crockerton, site of much industrial activity during the middle ages. The western portion of the parish lies within Longleat park,...
The parish of Monkton Deverill was never little more than a chapelry of Longbridge Deverill, to which it was annexed. Owned by Glastonbury Abbey during the middle ages, it was purchased by Sir John Thynne following the Reformation. The research for...
Cricklade, the Anglo-Saxon borough fortified by Alfred against the Danes, is the market town at the heart of this volume. As a notorious rotten borough, its corruption influenced the passing of the 1832 Parliamentary Reform Act. The town and the surrounding parishes described here are bordered by Gloucestershire to the north and Swindon to the East.
Cricklade and Environs This volume (edited by Virginia Bainbridge) was formally launched at Cricklade United Church on 10 September, and is now available. Focussed on the Thames valley, this volume explores the Anglo-Saxon burgh of Cricklade and the...