Cornwall Work in progress

Cornwall Vol III

  • Creed parish is not one of the ancient 'clay parishes' but we were offered the services of a group of parishioners who had successfully completed an HLF funded project to establish a Heritage Centre in the village of Grampound and were happy...
  • Volunteers have now started work on the probate records of Roche parish – a natural follow-on as Roche shares borders with St Stephen in Brannel and St Dennis parishes. There are many surnames which occur in all three parishes, so we are...
  • As the probate transcriptions for the period 1751-1857 are now complete, the volunteers have moved on to transcribing the probate records for the period 1660-1750.   Probate Material Names A-C Probate Material Names D-K Probate Material Names L...
  • The parish of St Dennis is the neighbouring parish to the north of St Stephen in Brannel and in the 1770s quickly became another supplier of the fine china clay found in St Stephen. Another team of volunteers has nearly completed the probate records...
  • The St Stephen in Brannel volunteers have been transcribing extracts from the probate records for 1660 - 1750.   They are still cataloging the Boconnoc leases covering the parish.  For ease of use we have uploaded these extracts in...
  • We chose St Stephen in Brannel to be our starting point because in 1773 William Cookworthy discovered clay in St Stephen in Brannel which was to prove of such good quality that it attracted the attention of other potters, such as Wedgewood and...

CORNWALL Vol IV

  • A group of volunteers is trialling the Parish Template in the Borough of Launceston, which includes the parishes of St Mary Magdalene, St Stephen by Launceston and St Thomas by Launceston   Working on the probate records for the...
  • The parish of St Mary Magdalene lies on the south side of Launceston and includes the centre of the town. Although the smallest of the three parishes, it is the most built-up. Both the castle and the town square are in this parish.   St Mary...
  • The parish of St Stephen is the largest of the Launceston parishes and the most rural. It lies between the rivers Kensey and Ottery and stretches right across the borough from west to east, and includes the hamlet of Langore. Its centre is the...
  • The parish of St Thomas lies mostly on the west side of the town and south of the river Kensey. It follows the river westwards to include the settlements of Trevallett and Tregadillett. But it also includes the “hamlet” of Newport, a...