About VCH Staffordshire

Work on the Victoria County History of Staffordshire began in the early twentieth century and the first volume was published in 1908.  It was anticipated that just four volumes would be written about the county.  At that time, however, funding could not be maintained and no further progress was made in published form until the second half of the twentieth century.  In 1950 a partnership was established between Staffordshire County Council (in conjunction with a group of county boroughs) and the University of London  whereby the local authorities would pay for the compiling and editing of the histories and the university would publish the completed books.  Five volumes of the history were published between 1950 and 1974. Following the reorganisation of local government in 1974, the contributing authorities comprised Staffordshire County Council, and the metropolitan boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton.  Four volumes were published in the period 1974 to 1993.  In 1993 the boroughs found that they were unable to continue their contributions to the production of the histories and a new partnership was formed between Staffordshire County Council, Keele University and the University of London .

The county maintained its financial contribution and the University of London continued to offer publication facilities while Keele took responsibility for employing the staff employed to research and write the county history.  That partnership continues to operate today.  The Victoria County History of Staffordshire is governed by a committee formed of representatives from each of the partners and the current editorial staff.  The county editor has an office at both Keele University and at the William Salt Library in Stafford.

 

Staff Profiles

Dr Nigel Tringham Nigel Tringham, County Editor

The county editor is Dr NIGEL TRINGHAM  BA, MLitt, PhD, FRHistSoc. He is based at the VCH office in the William Salt Library, Eastgate Street, Stafford ST16 2LZ (telephone: 01785 276037).  At Keele he teaches both undergraduates and a local history strand of the MRes degree, and organises the local history seminar (the Jack Leighton seminars) that take place three or four times a year on Wednesday afternoons. He also directs the Keele Latin and Palaeography Summer School, which provides high-level tuition in reading medieval Latin documents and is popular with those needing to learn the necessary skills for researching the medieval period in their local communities.  Dr Tringham is the editor of both the Staffordshire Record Society and the transactions of the Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society, and is a council member of Keele University’s own historical journal, Staffordshire Studies.  He is also a council member of the British Association for Local History and chairs its publications committee.

Please contact him for all general inquiries about the VCH.  His email address n.j.tringham@keele.ac.uk

Groups: