This is part of ongoing study of Basingstoke Union and Workhouse.
The riots against the Salvation Army in Basingstoke in the early 1880s gave rise to questions in the House of Commons, led to the publication of a
On census night, 30th March 1851, there were 4,262 residents, (2,113 male and 2,149 female), of whom just over half, 2,198, were born within 1 mile
Jane Austen was born at Steventon rectory in 1775.
In 1548 money from the Guild of the Holy Ghost Chapel was employed ‘to fynde a scole master to teche children grammar which hath been so continuall
The chalklands of Hampshire form a wide band roughly from east to west across the county.
Basingstoke Poor Law Union was established in May 1835, under the new Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Basingstoke was enclosed by parliamentary enclosure in 1788. Basingstoke is a large parish of over 1,500 ha.
In 1819 there were two schools in Upton Grey built on land owned by the Lord of the Manor, John Hanbury Beaufoy, which were supported on the Nation
Basingstoke was first served by the minster church at Basing, given to the monks of Mont St Michel by William the Conqueror, but separate churches