In 1686, the Overton vestry authorised a poor-house in the parish, which continued until the rapidly rising costs of poor relief resulted in a new
Fourteen wills and inventories survive for this period, all are in Hampshire Record Office.
In 1902 Church of England services were held at St Michael’s Church and at two mission rooms: the Reading Road Mission Room serving the east of the
One inventory and thirteen wills survive for this period, only one document is held in the Hampshire Record Office (HRO), the remainder are held at
The first Post Office in Basingstoke was run by Robert Cottle, Chief Magistrate, from 1808.
Twenty four wills and 22 inventories survive for this period of people involved in the local farming community and related trades.
Only one will survives for this period, that of John Mulford.
About half of the parish of Old Basing lies on chalk, with the sands and gravels of the Reading beds running through the centre of the village from
At the time of the 1851 Religious Census, there were two Independent Chapels in Basingstoke.
For a short period during the second half of the nineteenth century, there was a Bible Christian presence in Basingstoke.