The transformation of Salisbury Plain from sheep downland to military training grounds, between 1897 and 1914, coincided with the heyday of railway
To accommodate the British and ANZAC troops at Codford, a large number of temporary wooden huts were built in a series of camps, mainly along the e
The Mompesson tomb in the south chapel of Codford St Mary's Church, moved there in the 19th century.
At Home Close on the High Street (once the Post Office and for a time Shirley House), a half storey and a south-west wing were added to the mid-17t
Codford St Mary’s former school, began in 1875 (date on porch) and was extended 1889-91 (date beneath bell).
In 1944 plans were drawn up by Warminster and Westbury RDC to build on the site of the American military camp, formally the old cherry orchard betw
Wadham Locke, owner of Ashton Gifford House, built Ashton Gifford school at his own expense in 1844.
This industrial building known as The Woolstore stands in the ancient parish of Codford St Peter on the south side of the High Street, where the ro
Chitterne brook runs into the river Wylye. Codford owes its origins to the fords which crossed at this point. On both sides of the Chitterne broo
Overton House, rebuilt in brick for the local surgeon in the early 19th century.