When Codford St Mary's rectory house was built in the 17th century, it was a modest house, unlikely to have been the residence of gentry rector Joh
The Poplars was built in the early 19th century with a fashionably Greek Doric porch.
The rectory house of Codford St Peter. Its classical front conceals a 17th-century house, with a central chimney and lobby-entry plan.
In 1840, the plain classical Wool House had an L-plan, but by the time it was put up for sale in 1869 there was not only a northern extension, but
For centuries, the Wylye Valley was an area of sheep farming and barley production, where the sheep were used to dung the land.
Most of today’s settlement lies along the High Street, the old main road running slightly south-eastwards from Codford St Peter to the bridge over
The Old Manor House, on the High Street in Codford St Peter, is typical of stone-built West Wiltshire farmhouses of the late 16th and early 17th ce
The George Inn, first recorded in 1541, had become the stopping place for the Rocket stagecoach before 1800, and was described in 1787 as a stone a
Codford had no country seat until the early 19th century when Ashton Gifford House, set in a small ornamental park, took that role.
Codford Circle, with its bank and ditch, viewed from the air looking south, with Punch Bowl Bottom to the right.