The whole of the parish of Steventon including cottages near Deane Gate, Cheesedown Farm, Cottages on railway embankment, the Warren cottages and Steventon village. Sheep remained important throughout the late 19th century, although the number of shepherds dropped to five in 1881 and four in 1891. Mechanisation of agriculture is reflected in the occupation of an agricultural engine driver. Traction engines were used to pull steam threshing machines and mobile steam-powered threshing machines followed.
The population rose to 288 in 59 houses in 1881. In 1881 some of the increase was due to craftsmen lodging in the village while building a new mansion house for Henry Harris, the new lord of the manor.