Bishop's Palace, Wells from front lawn
This view shows the main range of the original 1230s palace. The porch with its stone lanterns was added c.1824 and in the 1850s the first floor was rebuilt by Benjamin Ferrey who added an attic storey. The late 13th-century great hall range and chapel built for Bishop Burnell can be seen on the right and the 15th-century Bishop's House on the left. The house was built for Bishop Bekyngton as private rooms away from the more public rooms of the palace. It was modified and enlarged in the 16th, 19th and 20th centuries and remains the home of the bishops of Bath and Wells.
Now an elegant area used for croquet, the front lawn was probably formerly a cobbled courtyard surrounded by stables and carriage houses.