Remains of Stogursey Castle Curtain Wall
Although much has been lost enough walling remains to give an impression of the castle motte and its defences. The curtain walls appear to contain 12th-century work but were virtually rebuilt probably in the 14th century. The towers, including a large circular tower that preceded the later gatehouse, were probably built after 1233. A new tower was added in the 1490s for accommodation rather than defence. The last recorded repairs were in 1519 and by 1538 the castle was in decay. In the later 16th century it was used to house rabbits, which no doubt further undermined the walls.