Salisbury Cattle Market
A late-nineteenth-century photograph of the Salisbury Cattle Market, looking towards the west. The photograph shows that the cattle market was held to the west of the Market Place. Castle St now runs through the middle of what was the Cattle Market, which was then laid out as a tree-lined square.
In the north-west corner of the square stood the Market House (later the Corn Exchange, now Salisbury Library), built in 1859. The large building in the centre of the north side of the square, on Blue Boar Row, housed the Cattlemen Association, and is now the Lloyd's TSB Bank. Behind the square rises the spire of St Thomas's church, and in the distance is the spire of the Congregational Chapel on Fisherton St.