Stogursey castle moat
The moat was presumably dug when the castle was first built. In 1304 the constable was ordered to have the bridges repaired. The moat was restored together with a small drawbridge in the late 20th century. A causeway leads to the gatehouse and its drawbridge from the east and is visible in the foreground of this view
The moat is linked to a series of watercourses, which also supplied the nearby mill. There may have been narrower moats around the baileys. The main moat is reinforced by a long bank on the west and north.