West Lydford churchyard
The remains of a cross were recorded in the churchyard in the mid 18th century. A defaced socket with the broken stump of the shaft survive, possibly 15th-century. A medieval effigy of a civilian, badly weathered, has possibly been removed from the church to the churchyard. The tomb of Gallop a conjurer was recorded in the 18th century. Two 17th-century chest tombs with angels and pilasters and one 18th-century tomb with angel heads are decayed state but at least one may belong to the Pope family.
 SRO, DD/SAS C/1193/4.
 Som. CC. HER.
 C.J. Webster & R.A. Croft ‘Somerset Archaeology 1991’, PSAS. 135 (1991), 135.
 SRO, DD/SAS C/1193/4; ibid. A/AQP 9.
Copyright:University of London
Image Caption:West Lydford churchyard