Witney Street (south): Nos 30-32 (The Great House)
The Great House (with The Priory and Jordan mansion) is one of Burford's three great gentry houses, and one of the few with architectural pretensions. It was probably built sometime between 1695 and 1710 by John Castle (1655-1727), a prosperous Burford physician who was prominent in town affairs. The main front range fits those dates stylistically, and Castle certainly lived here in the 1720s.
Copyright:University of London