In 1548 money from the Guild of the Holy Ghost Chapel was employed ‘to fynde a scole master to teche children grammar which hath been so continuall
The chalklands of Hampshire form a wide band roughly from east to west across the county.
Basingstoke Poor Law Union was established in May 1835, under the new Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Basingstoke was enclosed by parliamentary enclosure in 1788. Basingstoke is a large parish of over 1,500 ha.
In 1819 there were two schools in Upton Grey built on land owned by the Lord of the Manor, John Hanbury Beaufoy, which were supported on the Nation
Basingstoke was first served by the minster church at Basing, given to the monks of Mont St Michel by William the Conqueror, but separate churches