Lying between the river Wylye and the Warminster to Shaftesbury road (A350), Sir James Thynne’s almshouses are a two-storey stone building with sto
The Somers' Arms, Eastnor seems to be named after the Somers-Cocks family, lords of the manor of Eastnor.
In 1548 money from the Guild of the Holy Ghost Chapel was employed ‘to fynde a scole master to teche children grammar which hath been so continuall
Pleasure gardens an essential part of the life of Georgian resorts but also common in other prosperous towns such as Lewes in East Sussex.
Pleasure gardens were essential recreational facilities in spa and seaside resorts before 1840 but the majority did not last long.
This Georgian tidemill stood east of Newhaven in East Sussex very close to the coast.
The chalklands of Hampshire form a wide band roughly from east to west across the county.
In 1819 there were two schools in Upton Grey built on land owned by the Lord of the Manor, John Hanbury Beaufoy, which were supported on the Nation