Basingstoke was first served by the minster church at Basing, given to the monks of Mont St Michel by William the Conqueror, but separate churches
The first bishop of Wells, Athelm, was recorded in 909, so in 2009 the diocese celebrated 1100 years of history.
Stogursey, being a very large and populous parish had several mills.
Kingweston from the 13th century was an independent parish with its own rector appointed by the priors, later abbots, of Bermondsey.
Kingweston House and its grounds dominate the small parish of Kingweston as they have done since the late 18th century when the Dickinsons built th
West Lydford had a church by the mid 12th century, when William the priest was recorded, and it was dedicated to St Mary and All Saints by 1482.
Schooling in Castle Cary and neighbouring parishes dates back at least until the 17th century although it was only in the early 19th century that e
Despite some early recusancy and nonconformity, dissent did not flourish in the area until the 19th century when it may have been encouraged by the
Apothecaries and surgeons were based in Dunster from at least the early 17th century, serving the area around as well as Dunster itself, so it is n
The river Avill rises in Cutcombe parish on Exmoor and flows down to Dunster and Marsh to the Hawn or Haven of Dunster into the sea.