The former iron foundry in Hook run by the Gower family on the London Road, opposite the Old White Hart Inn started production in 1826.
Wallis and Steevens was a family business, founded in Basingstoke in 1856 to sell agricultural machinery in the rural hinterland.
Portals paper mills have had a profound economic and social effect on Overton parish.
Unlike the other Bishops Hull mills Roughmoor mill was not on the river Tone but on one of its northern tributaries.
Both Fideoak mill and Longaller mill in Bishops Hull were on Fideoak manor and were fulling mills in 1578 and presumably until the 17th century.
The medieval manor mill at Bishops Hull went out of use in the 1340s but by the late 16th century the parish was home to a large number of mills, a
One inventory and thirteen wills survive for this period, only one document is held in the Hampshire Record Office (HRO), the remainder are held at
Today, Holland Haven is the place where the Holland River (now the Holland Brook) once ran out into the North Sea between Clacton and Frinton in Es
Walton was one of the chief places for the production of Copperas or green vitriol (ferrous sulphate), which was used for a variety of purposes inc
Beaumont Quay and similar landing places along the Essex coast were chiefly used for the export of local agricultural produce to London.