The transformation of Salisbury Plain from sheep downland to military training grounds, between 1897 and 1914, coincided with the heyday of railway
To accommodate the British and ANZAC troops at Codford, a large number of temporary wooden huts were built in a series of camps, mainly along the e
The military cemetery in Codford St Mary, the second largest of its kind in the UK, lies in a peaceful spot by the parish church and contains the g
The present-day Phyllis Court is a stuccoed, Italianate mansion house on Henley's northern edge, built in the early 1840s.
Ledbury War Memorial commemorates the dead of two World Wars. The memorial was constructed in two stages at the end of each war.
Built by William, lord Hylton in the late 14th or early 15th century. The gatehouse, the original core of the medieval castle, still remains.
There was a military presence in the port through much of the 18th century, but it was not until the century's end, during the French wars, that a
The mouth of the Wear, source of much of the nation’s power, was a natural enemy target in wartime.
Bolsover Castle was built in the 17th century but occupies a medieval site, at the western edge of the limestone plateau in the south-west corner o
East Anstey war memorial