Church of the abbey dissolved in 1177; it had a central tower, north transept (with east chapel), south transept, and nave (with south aisle). Nave is of earlier 12th century while the remainder was built in the early 13th century. In the late 15th century much of the church was reroofed and a new east/west window was inserted. In 1852/3 the church was restored to designs by William Butterfield, he intended to remove all features later than 1400. The east window was replaced by one in a 13th century style. In the south transept the early 18th century windows were replaced by lancets similar to 13th century ones.
Records have been kept from the church in baptisms from 1624-40 and then from 1660 onwards, burials from 1610-36 and then from 1660 onwards and marriages 1610 – 39 and then from 1661 onwards.