Andwell census 1851-1901
The small, extra-parochial district of Andwell, located on the north-eastern edge of the Hampshire Downs approximately 22 miles (35 kilometres) to the north-east of Winchester and 4 miles (6.5 kilometres) to the east of Basingstoke, was bounded on the south and west by the manor of Mapledurwell, on the east by the parish of Up Nately and on the north by the parish of Nately Scures. Andwell and Up Nately are discussed together in VCH histories.
The founding of a monastery in the 12th century on hitherto waste land at Andwell created an area that remained outside the existing parochial structure, and these parts of Andwell manor (but not those in the traditional open field area) remained extra parochial, and became a civil parish in 1858. Andwell manor was owned by Winchester College. In 1880, Up Nately, with the detached lands still within it, became a civil parish of 1,149 a.(464 ha.) while Andwell, was left as a civil parish of only 148 a.(60 ha.).