The Anglo-Saxon Sculptured Stone
The basis for much speculation has been the Anglo-Saxon sculptured stone found in St. Peter’s church in 1864. From analyzing what the stone was made out, it has been determined the stone is from the late 8th or early 9th century. What the structure was used for is still argued. A couple possibilities are that it was part of a larger cross, or it belonged to the architecture of a church.
The carvings on the stone are the still the focus of the debate. In one sense, the scene has been interpreted as a reference to the wine of the Eucharist, or perhaps to Christ. On the other hand, the scene could be the biblical King David, dancing in celebration after his triumphant over the Philistines. Either way, the sculptured stone is a celebrated work of art.