The ANZACs at Codford
In July 1916 Codford was chosen as the depot for housing wounded New Zealand troops during their convalescence and the hutted military hospital in the Punch Bowl was entirely taken over for New Zealand casualties. Neighbouring Sutton Veny fulfilled a similar role for Australian troops, although there were Australians at Codford as well.
The ANZAC soldiers stationed in Codford during the First World War left a lasting impression on the village, most notably through the giant army cap badge carved out of the hillside above Foxhole Bottom. They are also remembered through the photographs, postcards, letters and poems sent home whilst stationed in Codford and commemorated in the ANZAC cemetery, the second largest of its kind in the UK.