Basingstoke Education pre 1870
Education in Basingstoke dates back to the 16th century with the founding of a school for boys attached to the Holy Ghost chapel. With numerous changes of administration and location over the centuries this became the boys’ Grammar School and in 2013 continues as The Vyne Community School where commemorative plaques are still displayed showing its foundation, masters and donors of prizes. This period also saw the establishment by Sir Richard Aldworth of the Aldworth Hospital School in 1656, later known as the Blue Coat School; the National schools (1811) and the British schools (1838).
Content derived during research for the new VCH Hampshire volume, Basingstoke and its surroundings.