Basingstoke Poor Law Union
This is part of ongoing study of Basingstoke Union and Workhouse.
It is very much a fairly rough work in progress, being the results of a study for the first ten years – hopefully these entries will be continually updated as the history progresses. Names are sometimes not clearly written or are phonetic, and we have no proof that the same name didn’t belong to different people.
Lists of Paupers, Guardians and Named Officers from the start of the Union in 1835 to 1845 are posted here. Very little remains, except for Board Minute Books, correspondence with the Poor Law Commission and subsequent bodies, and a few miscellaneous documents. The building has completely disappeared under modern development