Basingstoke Post Offices 1808-1971
The first Post Office in Basingstoke was run by Robert Cottle, Chief Magistrate, from 1808. The Penny Post was introduced in 1840 which coincided with the arrival of the railway to the town. The postal service thus became accessible to the general public with regular collections and deliveries at an affordable price. On Cottle’s retirement the business transferred to premises in Wote Street and as the service grew, a bespoke building was erected in New Street in 1925. This served as the town’s main Post Office until 1971 when a larger office was built in London Street and the sorting office transferred to Priestley Road in 1978. (See the asset below for a full history.)
Content derived during research for the new VCH Hampshire volume, Basingstoke and its surroundings.