Bristol and West Progressive Jewish Congregation
The Bristol and West Progressive Jewish congregation was formed in 1961 and met briefly in members’ houses then met at the meeting house of the Redland Society of Friends (Quakers) before finding premises in Easton in 1972 when its members numbered about 60 adults and 30 children. The premises were converted from three houses built between 1890-1910 and the synagogue was consecrated in 1975.
Unlike the orthodox synagogue in Park Row, men and women sit together for worship. The wooden arc contains Torah scrolls (handwritten scrolls of the first five books of the Hebrew Bible), one of which, Czech Torah scroll, has a particularly interesting history.