Buckminster Probate Material
Buckminster stands on high ground in east Leicestershire, 10 miles north-east of Melton Mowbray and close to the county borders with Lincolnshire and Rutland. As the place-name suggests, there was a Saxon minster here, although the present church of St John the Baptist does not appear to contain any work before the 13th century. Around three-quarters of the land is pasture and was enclosed in 1597. In 1842 the Earl of Dysart owned 1,359 acres of the 1,796 acres in the township. Apart from a brief period between 1866 and 1936 the parish also included the township of Sewstern.
Probate records are gradually being transcribed for Buckminster, and will be added to this page as work progresses. There are 29 surviving probate inventories covering the period 1634-1811, with an average (mean) value of £88 13s. and a median of £39 10s.
A separate page has been created for Sewstern probate material.