Cap Badge on Lamb Down
The cap badge on the slope above Foxhole Bottom, made by Australian troops, 1916-17, incorporating glass beer bottle bases. Polishing the bottles became a punishment duty, giving rise to the site's colloquial name, 'Misery Hill'. Turfed over during the Second World War to prevent its use by enemy bombers, the outline was restored in chalk and last scoured in 1999 by Austrailian troops.
View photographs and documents associated with the Cap Badge from the selection on the right.