Chatsworth: seat of the Cavendish family
Chatsworth was transformed in the 1680s from Sir William Cavendish's Elizabethan house with four tall ranges round a small courtyard into a fashionable Italianate palace. In 1688 the 1st duke of Devonshire ordered one of the Elizabethan ranges to be taken down and rebuilt on the same foundations to designs by William Talman, who in 1689 became Comptroller of the King's Works. That work was followed by the rebuilding of the other ranges and completed by 1694. The magnificent house became the family's main seat.