The Church in Bolsover
There has been a parish church in Bolsover since the early 12th century. In the Middle Ages there were also chapels at Oxcroft and Whaley to serve outlying parts of the parish, and a third in the separate township of Glapwell, all of which had gone out of use by the end of the 15th century. For a time there was also a chapel in the castle.
There was a renewed period of church building in Bolsover in the late 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, to serve the increased population of Bolsover itself and the new mining villages that grew up elsewhere in the parish. The largest of the chapels of ease, at Whaley Thorns, became the church of a new parish in 1924. Since the Second World War the other district churches in the parish of Bolsover have gradually closed and Anglican worship is once again focused on the medieval church in the town itself, as it was eight hundred years ago.