Church Street was formerly called Hallend, then Back Lane This road was probably the beginning of the early route from Ledbury to Worcester. In the Middle Ages, it (or part of it) was called Hallend because it passed Lower and Upper Halls before crossing Dog Hill towards Worcester, and the name was sometimes used as late as the early part of the 19th century. With the opening of the new route to Worcester, via Worcester Road, Church Street lost its early importance and became known as Back Lane, the name recorded on the tithe award of 1839 and in the census enumerators’ books from 1851. It was Church Street by 1900, although Back Lane continued in use locally for several years.
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series