Codford St Mary's School
Codford St Mary’s former school, began in 1875 (date on porch) and was extended 1889-91 (date beneath bell). From 1934 until it closed in 1971 junior pupils from both Codfords and neighbouring villages were taught either in this Victorian building or in a hutted classroom nearby.
St Mary’s school derived its income from voluntary contributions, a government grant and school pence, levied on a sliding scale from 3d. to 1d.
As the population in and around Codford rose during the 1950s and 1960s so the school roll increased, and a hutted classroom was added in 1961. The school achieved voluntary assisted status in the late 1940s and had 54 pupils in 1955. It continued in the same building until a new school, Codford Church of England Primary School, opened in 1971.
View photographs and documents associated with Codford St Mary's School from the selection on the right.