Compton House is an extensive house that stands at the heart of Compton Park in the village of Compton Chamberlayne. It was built by Sir Edward Penruddocke in the late 16th century, following his acquisition of the manor. It stands on the site of the original manorial complex, adjacent to the parish church, and may incorporate material from the medieval farmhouses that stood on the site previously. The house would be the ancesteral home of the Penruddockes until 1930. It was much altered in the 18th century, at the same time that Compton Park was transformed by Capability Brown.