Devon and Somerset Railway
This line, now dismantled, played an important part in the business and social life of southern Exmoor between 1873 and 1966. The section from Wiveliscombe to Barnstaple opened in 1873 including stations at Dulverton, in Brushford parish, East Anstey, and Molland, later known as Bishop’s Nympton and Molland, but was only single track. The topography and the huge difficulties of engineering a relatively level line required several cuttings and viaducts. The line was run by the Bristol and Exeter railway and from 1876 by the GWR.