Dulverton Congregational Chapel
Dulverton Congregational Chapel in Chapel Lane
This small chapel opened in 1831 as Dulverton Independent chapel. It gave its name to the street formerly known as Duck Paddle. The first minister was W Standerwick who had been instrumental in getting the chapel built.
The chapel was largely refitted in the late 19th century. It has an organ and a gallery on three sides built on iron columns. George Williams, founder of the YMCA, worshipped here as a boy and was a generous benefactor enabling a hall, with Sunday school above, to be built alongside in 1897. There was a thriving Sunday school in the early 20th century and the congregation continues to flourish.
A row of cottages in front of the chapel was known as Chapel Cottages but was largely rebuilt in the late 20th century.