Dulverton Town Hall and former Market House
Dulverton Town Hall
The Market House, later Town Hall was built in 1866 to replace a derelict and much smaller market house. The lower hall had arches closed by gates on non-market days. The upper hall was used by the magistrates and for entertainments. Competition from the cattle market at Brushford after 1873 was partly responsible for the Dulverton market's decline and the building became of greater value as a Town Hall. In 1927 A E Richardson converted the building for that purpose adding the freestanding double external stair with wrought iron rails and lamps and canopied entrance porch. The arches were glazed and the former market hall became shops. The upper hall was fitted with a stage for plays and lectures and the room was later used as a cinema. The Town hall and its steps became the venue of all the town's occasions and probably its most photographed building.