Dulverton's Hotels and Public Houses
Lion Hotel, Dulverton
The Lion, formerly the Red Lion, on the corner of Bank Square and Union Street, is a lone survivor among Dulverton's hotels. Dulverton had ten licensed premises in 1790 including the Red Lion, the White Lion, the Ram, and the Lamb. Inns also functioned as auction houses especially for the sale or letting of farms. In 1795 the White Hart at Dulverton was the venue for the sale of four farms and c. 540 a. of land in Exton. In Dulverton between 1810 and 1816 there many homeless paupers who were housed in inns, including the Ram and the White Horse, at parish expense. Many public houses were beerhouses only and did not provide for travellers. There were many of these but only the Rock, a former smithy, and the Bridge survive. The Lion, formerly the Red Lion, and the Lamb, formerly the Ram, were as much hotels as public houses. During the early 20th century there were several private hotels serving the growing tourist trade including people who came to hunt and fish. They included the Green, which offered free fishing. The trend towards self-catering or bed and breakfast accommodation in farmhouses or small guesthouses has seen the closure of several small hotels, most recently the Carnarvon Arms.