Dummer Boundary and Milestones
Local trusts were obliged to erect milestones on turnpike roads by law in 1773. Some of these stone markers can still be seen along many main roads. Dummer has three such stones on its western boundary on the A30, all of which are Grade II Listed monuments.
Boundary stones are less common but Dummer has two that survive on the edge of woodland demarking its parish from that of Popham and the Candovers. Boundaries were inspected by meresmen who would agree the extent of the parish with neighbouring officials and check the condition of ditches, hedges and fences. The old custom of beating the bounds dates back to the importance of passing on the knowledge of the parish limits.
The link below contains photographs and a more detailed account of the stones.