Dummer Probate Material 1561-1580
Documents for ten Dummer inhabitants (all men), survive for this period, eight wills and nine inventories held in Hampshire Record Office and The National Archives. Of particular interest are those of Roger Golde, clerk and Nicholas Madgwick/Madgewyke, a clothier with large quantities of kerseys in the nearby parish of Overton.
Words and place names have been modernized and punctuation added to make reading easier but names have been transcribed as written. Words in italics indicate omissions in the original document which have been added to make sense of the text. Words in square brackets indicate that they have been transcribed as seen but where the meaning is unclear.
Links to the transcriptions are below. The wills of Dummer rectors are published in a separate section of Explore.
A glossary is attached of unusual words.
- Richard Hall/Halle (Will and Inventory), 1561
- Roger Gold/Golde, parson (Will and Inventory), 1564
- William Weston (Will and Inventory), 1564
- Nicholas Magewick, clothier (Will), 1566
- Thomas Smyth junior (Inventory), 1574
- William Reading/Redyng (Will and Inventory), 1574
- Nicholas Madgwick/Madgewyke (Inventory), 1577
- Ralph Godesman, husbandman (Will and Inventory), 1578
- Robert Neale (Will and Inventory), 1578
- John Frost, husbandman (Will and Inventory), 1580