Dummer Probate Material 1581-1600
Ten wills and 12 inventories survive for this period including several husbandmen and yeomen and some of the prominent families in the parish reflecting substantial farming activity and wealth. The documents are held in the Hampshire Record Office and The National Archives.
Words and place names have been modernized and punctuation added to make reading easier but names have been transcribed as written. Words in italics indicate omissions in the original document which have been added to make sense of the text. Words in square brackets indicate that they have been transcribed as seen but where the meaning is unclear.
Links to the transcriptions are below. The wills of Dummer rectors are published in a separate section of Explore.
A glossary is attached of unusual words.
- George Wither/Withers, husbandman (Will and Inventory), 1584
- John Grene/Green, husbandman (Will and Inventory), 1588
- Steven Minchin/Mynchen, husbandman (Will and Inventory), 1588
- William White, minister (Will and Inventory), 1588
- Thomas Neale (Inventory), 1590
- Henry Nottingham (Inventory), 1590
- Alice Madgweke, widow (Will), 1591
- Elizabeth Prince, widow (Will and Inventory), 1592
- Thomas Smith, yeoman (Will and Inventory), 1593
- William Grant/Graunt, yeomann (Will and Inventory), 1595
- Richard Lover (Will and Inventory), 1599
- John Gold/Golde, husbandman (Inventory), 1599
- Gilbert Wither/Withers, yeoman (Will and Inventory), 1599