Education in the Hardwick Estate
The growth of the modern coal mining in the 19th century brought with it it dramatic changes in both settlement and society on and near the Hardwick estate. As well as new villages being built to house the miners and their families, schools on the estate benefited from a growth in expenditure.
The Estate was involved in both funding and building schools. Schools established during this period included those at Blackwell, Hardstoft, Heath, Upper Langwith and Stainsby.
After the passing of the Elementary Education Act in 1870, Stainsby school (pictured) began to receive an Education Department grant, which was retained by the Hardwick estate, presumably because it was guaranteeing the master's salary.
In 1903, when county councils took over former board schools and more generous funding for Church schools was introduced, the estate's subscriptions fell away. Whereas in 1902 the Hardwick collection gave £112 to schools, in 1907 the figure was £8 and remained at that level until after the First World War.
Image courtesy of English Heritage (Steve Cole).