Exebridge lies mainly along the south side of the road either side of the river Exe. The eastern half of the village is in Morebath, Devon and the western half is in Brushford, Somerset. The settlement clearly grew up beside the river crossing at the Exe bridge. This bridge is apparently on the site of a medieval bridge and two men of Exebridge were recorded in 1327. In 1694, the bridge was in need of repair and it fell to the 7 or 8 houses that lined the Somerset side to carry out this work. There were two large farms Exeham and Riphay, the latter still with its traditional farmyard. Down the centuries it has depended partly on passing traffic to earn a living at the inn, smith, wheelwrights and post office. Now only the inn survives. Other businesses were the mill, Exe Valley fisheries, sawmills and a nursery.