Farleigh Wallop census 1851-1901
Farleigh wallop was a parish with a non-resident landlord, the earl of Portsmouth. The population was small and consisted solely of those needed to fulfill the requirements of Lord Portsmouth in running his estate which was managed by a bailiff and under-steward. Housing was therefore limited to employees and the population dependent on their landlord. Farleigh House was let to tenants but the Wallop family used the church as a family mausoleum thus maintaining personal interest in the parish. The number of residents remained almost static, an average of 108 throughout this period. Farming involved sheep and arable, with cattle added by 1891.