The Farms in Wartime
Since 1940 about 94 acres of grassland ploughed up; some land taken for military use in Codford’s Manor Farm. At the larger East Farm, almost 400 acres of grassland were converted into arable farmland for the war effort. In addition to expanding available farmland, the government took a detailed account of what each farm was able to produce. These details, preserved in The National Archives, shows how precise the surveys of each farm was, right down to the exact number of cattle.