The George Inn
The George Inn, first recorded in 1541, had become the stopping place for the Rocket stagecoach before 1800, and was described in 1787 as a stone and timber thatched building, whose landlord operated two post-chaises. It was rebuilt in brick in 1893 slightly further from the road, and survives as the only public house in Codford.
The George Inn would have handled mail conveyed by coach until the post office opened in 1841. When the courthouse accidentally burnt down in 1728 court met at the George Inn. It functioned in this way until the 1860s.
View photographs and documents associated with The George Inn from the selection on the right.