The Georgian Chancel of Laughton Church in East Sussex
Sir Thomas Robinson designed Glynde Church for Richard Trevor, the Bishop of Durham who rebuilt it in 1763-65. he employed John Morris of Lewes, a surveyor and stonemason who also designed buildings such as the stable block at Glynde Place. When Thomas Pelham-Holles, Duke of Newcastle decided to rebuild the chancel below which many members of his family were buried at Laughton, he employed a 'Mr Robinson' to design it. There were two Robinsons working during htis period but as Sir Thomas was employed at Glynde it seems likely that this design may be by him. The Duke let his very competant agent, Abraham Baley get on with the project. He recommended John Morris who did the work in 1764-65. Baley recommended to the Duke that the design was modified, remarking that the intended one seemed too ambitious. The evidence suggests that the design was amended by John Morris. The Gothick style chancel survives.
For the detail and a discussion abut other churches in the Lewes area which were designed and built by builders and surveyors see Sue Berry, 'Laughton Church Chancel and other major church alterations in and around Lewes, East Sussex, c.1740-1810.