Great Champson, Molland
Great Champson farm was renowned in the late 18th and 19th century for animal breeding. It was a large farm, occupied for several generations by the Quartley family. As with many Devon farms it was sometimes divided between father and adult sons living together. In 1881 John Quartley held 290 a. and his sonÂ Henry 115a. Each employed his own labour. Three labourers and two domestic servants shared the house with the family. In 1901 Henry's widow ran the farm with her son and daughter. Two young labourers lived with the family in the traditional Exmoor manner.
By 1910 the farm had passed out of the Quartley family and was reduced in size to 289 a. despite taking over Smallacombe farm. It remained a good quality rearing farm with stone and slate shippons, bullock pens, calf houses and stable for 5 horses. The machinery was powered by an overshot waterwheel.
The ancient farmhouse was noted for its oak panelled rooms and carved screens.